What is School Direct?
School Direct is an innovative way of training teachers which has been designed to enable schools to take a lead role in Initial Teacher Training whilst working in partnership with accredited ITT providers. It is a one year full time route into teaching leading to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
If your application is successful you will learn on the job either at St. Andrew’s or one of our partner schools. You will train in the classroom supported by qualified teachers and mentors and will also spend time studying at our partner university, Liverpool Hope. You will work as part of the teaching team from day one and immediately put your new skills into practice.
Why choose School Direct?
- You will be training alongside outstanding teachers and lead professionals.
- You will receive excellent professional development within our alliance schools and with our university partner.
- You will experience the diversity of excellent education providers in different types of schools with different specialisms within our teaching school alliance.
- You will still have access to university facilities e.g. libraries, lectures etc.
- You will gain a PGCE with Masters Accreditation through our university partner.
What will the programme involve?
- All trainees will be allocated to a home school. You will start the academic year in your home school and spend the majority of your school-based experience time there.
- All trainees will spend a placement in an away school during term 2 of the academic year.
- In addition to the directed school-based experience time, all trainees will spend time at Liverpool Hope university for subject specific enhancement sessions.
- The course combines practical classroom experience with academic study to give you the knowledge and understanding to teach successfully. You will be assessed through observations and assignments.