School Direct Training
What is School Direct?
School Direct is an innovative way of training teachers which has been designed to enable schools to take a lead role in Initial Teacher Training whilst working in partnership with accredited ITT providers. It is a one year full time route into teaching leading to a PGCE qualification with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
Trainees on the St Andrew's School Direct programme are placed with one of our partner schools where they train in the classroom supported by experienced, qualified teachers and mentors. Working as part of the teaching team from day one, they immediately have the opportunity to put their new skills into practice.
Why choose School Direct?
- You will be training alongside outstanding teachers and lead professionals.
- You will receive excellent professional development within alliance schools and with our university partners.
- You will experience the diversity of different types of schools within our teaching school alliance.
- You will still have access to university facilities e.g. libraries, lectures etc.
- You will gain a PGCE with Masters Accreditation and QTS.
What will the programme involve?
- All trainees will have two primary school placements, one in each key stage. Experience in early years, SEND and KS3 is also included.
- In addition to the directed school-based experience time, all trainees will have subject specific enhancement sessions, these will be at the university or the teaching school.
- The course combines practical classroom experience with academic study to give you the knowledge and understanding to teach successfully. You will be assessed through observations and assignments.