What is School Direct?
School Direct is an innovative way of training teachers which has been designed to enable schools to take a lead role in Initial Teacher Training whilst working in partnership with accredited ITT providers. It is a one year full time route into teaching leading to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
If your application is successful you will be placed within one of our partner schools. You will train in the classroom supported by qualified teachers and mentors and will also spend time studying with our university partners. Working as part of the teaching team from day one, you will immediately put your new skills into practice.
Why choose School Direct?
- You will be training alongside outstanding teachers and lead professionals.
- You will receive excellent professional development within our alliance schools and with our university partner.
- You will experience the diversity of excellent education providers in different types of schools with different specialisms within our teaching school alliance.
- You will still have access to university facilities e.g. libraries, lectures etc.
- You will gain a PGCE with Masters Accreditation through our university partner.
What will the programme involve?
- All trainees will be allocated to a home school and this is where you will begin your school-based experience.
- All trainees will spend a placement in an away school during the second half of the academic year.
- In addition to the directed school-based experience time, all trainees will spend time at university for subject specific enhancement sessions.
- The course combines practical classroom experience with academic study to give you the knowledge and understanding to teach successfully. You will be assessed through observations and assignments.